New Centres For Filing Claims Of Compensation Notified For Protection Of Plant Varieties And Farmers’ Rights

The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has added nine more centres for filing claims of compensation to its list of existing centres. This notification was issued on April 26, 2024.

It may be recalled that the Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights Act, 2001 empowers the Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers’ Rights Authority to notify centres for filing compensation claims under the Act.

Moreover, the Act permits any person or group of persons to file, on behalf of any village or local community, in any such centre any claim attributable to the contribution of the people of the concerned village or local community in the evolution or any variety for the purpose of staking a claim on behalf of such village or local community.

Therefore by notification dated November 29, 2022, the Central government had notified a table specifying a list of centres for filing of claims of compensation, along with the corresponding nodal officers, states and jurisdictional districts.

Now, by the present notification the government has introduced additional centres to this table. These centres are as follows:

Serial NumberCentresState/ Union Territory
1Agriculture University, Jodhpur, Mandor342304, Jodhpur, RajasthanRajasthan
2Assam Agricultural University (AAU), Jorhat 785013, Assam, IndiaAssam
3Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, P.O. Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Mohanpur, District- Nadia, West Bengal, India, 741252West Bengal
4Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyala, Raipur, Chhattisgarh-492012Chhattisgarh
5Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya, Jabalpur- 482004Madhya Pradesh
6Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel University of Agriculture and Technology Meerut, Uttar Pradesh- 250110Uttar Pradesh
7SKUAST, Kashmir, Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir- 190017.Jammu and Kashmir
8Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Lawley Road, Coimbatore 641003Tamil Nadu
9University of Agricultural Sciences, UAS Campus, Lingsugur Road, Raichur, Karnataka-584 104Karnataka
Centres For Filing Claims Of Compensation